Ice-cream at Our Home

At our house, ice-cream is either yogurt with frozen fruit in it topped with maple syrup, or a smoothie. Summer is here, at least the heat is, and smoothies are greatly appreciated by me and my husband as Ice-cream is always appreciated by my daughter!

Because we don't eat fish, I hide some omega 3 and 6 through the hemp and chia seeds I add in. My picky husband can't taste a thing and we all benefit from it Shhhhh... he doesn't know! ;)

Use this as inspiration to make your own "ice-cream". Any fruit combo works, although my best friend would beg to differ. At the age of 11, I was already making these smoothies on a regular basis... and well, I made her sick one time...I ended up having a belly ache too. So I guess think a little before you put your choices in the blender. Happy Smoothie making!




 FUNDABBLER FACT 

Unlike flaxseed oil, hempseed oil can be used continuously without developing a deficiency or other imbalance of EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids). This has been demonstrated in a clinical study, where the daily ingestion of flaxseed oil decreased the endogenous production of GLA (Omega 6). (Schwab U, Callaway J, Erkkilä A, Gynther J, Uusitupa M, Järvinen T (2006). Effects of hempseed and flaxseed oils on the profile of serum lipids, serum total and lipoprotein lipid concentrations and haemostatic. European Journal of Nutrition 45(8):470-7.)



 INGREDIENTS 

Blueberries - frozen or fresh 1 pint (2 cups)
Banana - 1 frozen or fresh
Apples - 2 medium sized peeled
Kiwis- 2 frozen or fresh
Mango -1 medium frozen or fresh
Orange Juice- 1 cup
Chia seed - 1 tablespoon soaked for about 10 min in approximately 5 tablespoons water
Hemp seeds - 4 Tablespoons

Fresh whipped cream to top (optional)

Takes about 10 min to make
Makes 4 cups

 INSTRUCTIONS 

1. Measure and soak your chia seeds



2. Wash and cut all your fruit
 NOTE  
Use at least 2 frozen ingredients so you don't use ice and you get the smoothie texture intended.











3. Add to the blender with your orange juice and seeds. Purée and serve!

You can top with whipped cream if you like as we did here.


Comments

Popular Posts