Rachael Ray's Lemon Carbonara - "YUMMO"!



It is what is called "an Indian Summer" here in Montreal. This means that it is was in the 80's even though the leaves are changing yellow and red. The cold is to come once again at the end of the week. So to enjoy the moment I decided to make one of my last warm weather meals!

After watching Rachael Ray (one of my favourite cooks in the whole world who plays a huge role in my love for food and cooking) make her husband's favourite Carbonara pasta, I decided, I can do this! My husband has talked about it since we have been married (now over 6 years) and even attempted it. I was left in fear of the challenge, as he had worked so hard, and lets just say... the results were not what he was hoping for.  (OOPS!)

I have never touched it. Watching one of my idols Rachael Ray do it in front of me (on TV)  gave me this umph to do it fearlessly. She is amazing! Seriously it is from watching her on 30 min meals bak in the day on FoodNetwork that I learned how to allow my cook's logic to bloom. No really! She explained why she did things, was calm and collected while she made real food you would actually make for dinner. My VERY first recipe I cooked for my husband after we were married was from her! A 30 min chicken meal! HAH! She is a beautiful person on top of it all, inside and out.  Anyway, enough gushing… Today is my challenge to myself. I bought all of my ingredients yesterday and I will do this. YES I CAN! Let's do it! 

Please remember this recipe is Rachael Ray's Recipe not mine, I am just posting it as I dabble along in my food journey, today being carbonara

FUNDABBLER FACT

Parmesan is one of the best choices for cheese for high protein content! For every 100gr, you have 36gr of protein. This is much greater compared to Cheddar that has only 25gr or Feta with only 14 gr of protein for every 100 grams! 


Serves 4
Takes about 1 hour to make

INGREDIENTS

Salt
Egg tagliatelle -1 pound
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) -  3 tablespoons 
Pancetta - 1/3 pound , chopped into fine dice
Coarse black pepper - about 1 teaspoon 
Garlic - 6 cloves , finely chopped
Fresno chili pepper - 1 small , seeded and finely chopped (optional)
Thin scallions - 1 bunch , finely chopped, white and green parts separated
Organic lemon - zest and juice of 1 large, ripe , divided
Fresh thyme - About 1 tablespoon 
White wine - 3/4-1 cup dry 
Flat leaf parsley - A handful of , very finely chopped
Organic egg yolks - 3 large 
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese - freshly grated  (a couple of handfuls)
Pecorino Romano cheese - freshly grated  (a couple of handfuls)
Shredded basil and diced yellow tomato, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS


Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. When boiling rapidly, salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente. 


Heads up: reserve 1/2-3/4 cup of the starchy cooking water just before draining the pasta.



Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the EVOO, three turns of the pan. Add the pancetta, season with black pepper and brown lightly. 



Stir in the garlic, chili pepper (if using), 


and the whites of the scallions




 then zest the lemon over the pan and stir in the thyme. Stir for 2-3 minutes, 



then add the wine, a couple turns of the pan, and reduce by half, 1-2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. (this was the wine my local sommelier recommended)



When the pasta is about ready, beat the egg yolks with the reserved starchy water to temper them. 



Add the lemon juice, parsley and the greens of the onions to the pan.



Drain the pasta and add it to the pan. 



Turn off the heat, pour in the tempered eggs and sprinkle in a small handful of each of the cheeses. 



Toss vigorously for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce coats the pasta and it's thick and shiny. Serve in shallow bowls with a little extra cheese, shredded basil and diced yellow tomatoes on top.


I didn't add the chili (because I was feeding it to my almost 3 year old) And I didn't top with tomatoes or shredded basil, but rather some more greens of my onions and parsley. And a nice GRATE of fresh parm! "YMMO!" Serve with the remaining white wine and...



Enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts