Strawberry Cardamom Cake- Thank you Joy the Baker!


This beautiful absolutely fantastic recipe is not of my own invention, but from a great blogger/baker/writer Joy the Baker .

I love the dense cake texture, as well as fantastic flavour with a happy strawberry surprise waiting for you. The only thing I did differently is sprinkle my dollop of whipping cream that I topped my cake off with some extra ground cardamom. I served this as one of the 3 desserts I served at my wine tasting party. I think only a few guys got to this point. Next time I'll have only 3 courses instead of 8 - oops! :P

ENJOY! I know you will if you make this! Let me know how happy your taste buds get! Mine party just at the thought of this blessed cake!


PS I also doubled the recipe and it turned out great! THANKS AGAIN JOY!


 F U N D A B B L E R   F A C T 

Strawberries are one of the fruits that absorbs the most pesticides it is sprayed with. There are laws to help minimize our intake of the pesticides, however we still end up eating the pesticides in the fruit. Best thing to do, buy Organic Strawberries!
  -The lady farmer at Marché Jean Talon (A very kind and helpful lady who most likely hides every time she sees me coming to the market because I ask so many questions).

Takes about 1 hour
Makes one 8-inch cake


 I N G R E D I E N T S 

FOR THE TOPPING 
Unsalted butter - 2 tablespoons
Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
Strawberries - 1 cup, sliced

FOR THE CAKE
All-purpose flour - 1 1/3 cups
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Baking soda - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
Ground Cardamon - 1/4 teaspoon (plus more to add to the whipped cream for presentation and flavour if you wish)
Brown sugar - 2/3 cup
Large egg - 1
Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup, softened
Pure vanilla extract - 1 teaspoon
Sour Cream - 2/3 cup

 I N S T R U C T I O N S 

See her pictures and narration as it is worth it and much better than mine could ever be! The following instructions are cut and pasted from her site.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
I used an 8-inch round with 3-inch tall sides.  You can also use a 9-inch round with 2-inch sides.
Place butter in the cake pan and place in the oven.  When butter is melted, remove pan from the oven.  Using two pot holders, tilt the pan around and around, coating the sides of the pan with butter.  Once sides are coated, set aside.



In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.  Set aside.


In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed.  Cream until slightly pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.


Stop mixer, scrape down the bowl with a spatula, and add egg and vanilla extract.  Beat for 1 minute.


Turn the mixer off, scrape the bowl, and add the dry ingredients.  Beat on low speed while adding the sour cream.  Beat until the batter just comes together.  Batter will be pretty thick.  Remove the bowl from the mixer and finish incorporating ingredients with a spatula.


Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar into the melted butter in the cake pan.  Sprinkle strawberry slices over the butter and sugar in a single layer.  Spoon batter over the strawberries and spread evenly with a spatula.  Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.


Let cake rest for 10 minutes before running a knife around the edge of the cake and inverting the cake onto a cake plate.  Serve warm with sweetened sour or whipped cream.

I topped it off with some more ground cardamom, pretty and yummy! 

Comments

Popular Posts