Sahars Spaghetti Sauce





Spaghetti sauce has been a tradition in my husband's family (even though they are not Italian) for generations. It was always the men's job of making it. It was made in big batches and frozen for later and convenient use. During our first year of marriage, while I learned what my husband liked, and basically learned to cook, I prepared all the ingredients as my husband has said, ready for him to make. Well, he never had time to make it and I ended up making it alone, it literally took me 2 days to make the sauce. I was in tears at the end. I blanched the tomatoes, skinned, diced, did EVERYTHING from scratch, and promised to never do so again in my life. And I never have. I used canned tomatoes, proudly, along with canned tomato paste, but other than that I make the rest from fresh ingredients. This batch made me 6 yogurt tubs! We're ready for a good 6 months! It is a bit thick, my husband says more like a chili. If i need it more saucy, I add a can of tomato sauce/paste when I de-freeze it. It takes less space in the freezer (because it's thicker) and I can thin it out as needed depending on what I'm making.

Makes about 12 servings (6 yogurt tubs)
Takes about 4 hours to make 

 FUNDABBLER FACT 

Tomatoes actually come from South America!

 INGREDIENTS 

Ground beef - 1.5 lbs
Ground lamb - 1.5 lbs
Bell Peppers - 4
Carrots - 6
Onions - 2
Garlic - 1 whole clove
Zucchini - 3 medium
Tomatoes - 2 Fresh diced
Dried Parsley - 3 tablespoons
Cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
Dried Oregano - 2 tablespoons
Dried Basil - 4 tablespoons
Dried Rosemary - 2 tablespoons
Turmeric - 1 tablespoon
Celery - 1 cup chopped
Diced Tomatoes - 4 cans 
Tomato paste - 3, 5.5 oz cans 

 INSTRUCTIONS 

Take your beef and lamb and add it to a hot oiled pan.


Add half of your garlic and spices until nice and brown.



While it fries up wash and cut your zucchini



crush the garlic



cut the onions



The bell peppers and the tomatoes



the carrots



Add the celery (mine was frozen)





add your canned tomatoes and paste to your now fried beef in your huge pot




Let simmer until the carrots are almost tender (because once frozen, it will be cooked again when you de-freeze it) and add the rest of your spices last minute and stir. 



Let cool, pour in storage containers and freeze to be used at your convenience!





Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts