Minty Pea and Kale Fritters w Feta


















So basically I had 100% intention to follow a recipe I found online. But..... I didn't. Go figure. I love everything about her idea and recipe.  Here is the original recipe by:   Gourmande in the Kitchen .

This is what happened and why I am re posting this: I started by following the recipe. As I opened my bag of washed mint and all of a sudden I turned into a 5 year old girl, sitting at the patio table with my dad, eating the simple Persian snack/meal of Noon o panir: Feta cheese with fresh greens (mint, cilantro, marjoram, something like chives, green onions, etc.) I loved it and literally licked the food processor clean with a very content smile. Don't worry I washed my hands and bowl with soap after ;).

I couldn't get myself to add the lemon zest (mostly because I forgot to buy organic lemons). And of course I love garlic so to me it was missing. I needed it to complete the smell of the nono panir rolls my dad would make me as a kid. Then I thought I can hide Kale in this!

So of course all the credit to Groumande in the Kitchen,  but here is my version of the recipe.
I served it with a creamy cabbage and carrot salad with apples  and quinoa. My 4.5 year old daughter devoured it, my husband enjoyed the flavor combination. I enjoyed it lots. Hope it makes your bellies happy.


FUNDABBLER FACT
Green peas stand out as an environmentally friendly food. Agricultural research has shown that pea crops can provide the soil with important benefits. First, peas belong to a category of crops called "nitrogen fixing" crops.



INGREDIENTS

Egg - 3 
Kale - 1 cup (crushed if frozen and chopped if fresh)
Garlic - 2 cloves  crushed
Green onion - 4 
Feta - 4 oz 
Flour - 2 tablespoons 
Pepper to taste
Canola or other high smoke point oil 
fresh mint - 2 tablespoons finely chopped


Takes about 45 min to make
Makes about 20 w a heaping teaspoon for each
Easily doubled and Freezable

INSTRUCTIONS


In a food processor add your 
chopped green onions, chopped mint, crushed feta cheese,  peas and minced or crushed garlic



Add in your kale, if fresh chopped, if frozen crushed 



Before you add your eggs, taste the mix to see if you want more salt. I find it salty enough because of the feta cheese. but I cook on the saltlessness end of the spectrum. 



Place in a bowl and add in your eggs



your flour and pepper and mix. 



Fry in your choice of high smoke point oil (I used canola this time, you can check out the chart here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point  to see what you would like to pick.

SIDE NOTE
do you see those beautiful browned parts? That is the cheese OH YEA! :)




I served it with a bright cabbage and carrot salad and some fluffed quinoa. 



And ENJOY!

















Comments

Popular Posts